Safer Spaces Policy
Olympia Zine Fest is a safer space, which means that we intend to create a welcoming environment where folks can let their freak flags fly. Participants and attendees should be aware of how their words and actions affect others, and strive towards mutual respect.
Advocates for Youth describes a safe space as:
“A place where anyone can relax and be fully self-expressed, without fear of being made to feel uncomfortable, unwelcome, or unsafe on account of biological sex, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, cultural background, age, or physical or mental ability; a place where the rules guard each person’s self-respect and dignity and strongly encourage everyone to respect others.”
Follow these guidelines to help make Olympia Zine Fest a safer space
- Inquire about and respect the physical and emotional boundaries of others.
- Be responsible and accountable for your words and actions, be aware that intent is not magical.
- Always get explicit verbal consent before touching anyone or taking anyone’s photo.
- Respect peoples’ differing opinions, beliefs, points of view and states of being.
The following are prohibited and will not be tolerated:
- Racism, sexism, homophobia, classism, ableism, transphobia, queerphobia, ageism, sizeism, religious intolerance and all other forms of discrimination.
- Sexual harassment, inappropriate/unwelcome comments/behaviors.
- Disrespectful or disruptive behavior.
- Theft of money or property, squatting at empty tables.
- Physical, verbal, mental abuse or intimidation.
- Causing a participant or attendee to feel distressed or unsafe.
Content of participants of Olympia Zine Fest is not pre-screened or censored prior to the event, nor can we promise to preemptively mute any oppressive or problematic behaviors by participants or attendees. If individuals find certain materials to be oppressive or problematic, or if you witness or experience prohibited language or behaviors, OZF’s organizers encourage you to reach out to us to investigate and take proper action. OZF reserves the right to ask anyone in violation of the safer space policy to reconcile their behavior or be asked to leave. Thank you for your support and assistance in making OZF a safer space.